Monday, April 12, 2010

Brilliant Strategy or Unfortunate Coincidence?

What is this strategic coincidence you ask? Well more on that later, but first let's get a few things straight. The Dodgers suck, this much we know. Starting pitching has me less than impressed, and as a whole the team that was not good enough to win the World Series last year has made zero moves to make the team better. So we are going to improve our chances at winning it all by doing nothing? OK, I guess this is why I am not a general manager in the big leagues because this has me thoroughly perplexed.

About the pitching... Bills and Kershaw are bright spots that could/should really dominate.... someday. But last year proved they aren't there yet and I may not be convinced this is the year either. Padilla has proven that he sucks as bad as the Rangers thought last year. Haeger is a knuckleballer.... if he doesn't even know where the ball is going, how am I suppose to have any confidence in the guy. He is fun to watch, and has had pretty good success so far all I am saying is I don't think it is going to last. Prove me wrong Chuck. Kuroda was a fun story a few years ago, I like him, and think he has good stuff but he has a lot of innings on that wing of his and I don't trust him to stay healthy. Feel free to disagree with me but all I'm saying is personally, I won't be betting my future children's college fund on the Dodgers pitching staff this year.

So now those moves to make the team that couldn't win it all not better... no offense to Reed Johnson or Garrett Anderson but uhhh I don't think they were the big bats that Dodger fans were hoping for. We have a steroid-less Manny Ramirez, which is not nearly as cool as the Manny Ramirez we had who was on steroids and spraying line drives and jacks everywhere, a not so powere hitting 1B in James Loney who realistically just will never be one... especially now that roiding is really hard to get away with. A Belliard and Blake who are old and losing a defensive step every game and have a tendency to leave me in want after they come to the plate. And just to round out the infield woes I will attempt to reverse jinx our shortstop and mention the fact that he has not had a productive and healthy full season since 2006.

We could illustrate the Dodgers shortcomings all day but that is not the point of this little exercise. The real question here is not if the Dodgers are bad or why are they physically/on paper bad necessarily.... the question is why is management trotting this National-esque crime of a squad out every day? I suspect it is an elaborate scheme by Frank McCourt. A scheme so sinister that in the case he owes his harlot wife a 50% or any % share of the franchise upon the finalization of their divorce it will be as miniscule as possible. As worthless as a Condfederate bank note circa 1866. Rather than having a full scale fire sale i.e. the Padres of 2009, McCourt is simply going to let his team slip into the abyss of KC Royal-dom. I charge you Frank McCourt with attempted murder... the attemted murder of a franchise, with the outcome yet to be determined.

Let it be known, the aforementioned attempted murder may not have happened yet, but it is the writer's opinion that it will happen. The results of which may extend beyond attempted murder and reach into the realm of murder in the 1st. Time will tell, stay tuned.

No comments: